Thursday, October 23, 2008

Race for the Cure

Every year my mom and I and a couple friends walk in the Race for the Cure. It is an incredible opportunity to celebrate those women who have won their fight against breast cancer as well as honor those that were taken from us entirely too soon. It is unbelievable how many lives this disease has touched. 32,000 people were a part of the event this year and almost every single one of them walked in honor of at least one person who has fought this terrible disease and 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. The numbers are staggering. In fact, most people reading this have had their lives touched by breast cancer in some way, I know Nathan and I both have. If you have never been a part of a Race for the Cure event, I urge you to sign up next year! Although, it was a women-only event in the past, men are now encouraged to participate. After all, they are all affected as well. If you don't want to walk, then you can register and come take part in the festivities. All the registration money goes to finding a cure for breast cancer. It would be well worth your time, I promise you. The whole morning is a great big celebration of life! The survivors wear pink shirts and it is absolutely incredible to see all of these strong women in one place. It's experiences like these that really put me in my place and make me think about all of the insignificant complaints I have from day to day. To see all those women in pink shirts who have fought or are fighting this disease with grace and dignity is eye opening. I only wish that I had their strength. It is truly inspiring.

2 comments:

K said...

Let me know when it is next year, I would love to get involved.

Nathan and Katie said...

I definitely will! It really is a lot of fun!!